Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sad News

Just a quick post to let you know that my fears about Vinnie came true - he passed away sometime early Sunday morning. I stayed up with him until about 1:00 a.m., because I knew he was doing really badly. I considered taking him to the emergency vet, but I knew that would be traumatic for him, and I was fairly certain that there wasn't much that could be done. When I got up at 7:30, he was gone, laying near where he was when I went to bed. Harley was sitting a few feet away, waiting for me.

The posts about how Vinnie came to live with me last summer are here. In the time since, he went from grouchy old man -- I was warned that he was a scaredy cat and not terribly friendly to most people -- to one of the sweetest cats I've owned. If I was in the room, he was usually in my lap, even though I've heard that he wasn't a lap cat in the past. Although he and my other cats weren't exactly friends, they all tolerated each other. He had even become fairly social -- if he heard me talking to someone, he would come see who it was. He would even model my knitting.

I miss him a lot, and feel lucky that I got to have him for the last year.

Vinnie

11 comments:

Chris said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Vinnie. I am glad that you were able to make his last year such a good one.

*hug*

Mary Lou said...

Sorry to hear about Vinnie, but how nice for both of you you had that time together.

Kaye said...

Oh Vinnie! Such a sweetie! I'm glad you guys got to find each other if only for a year or so.

Nana Sadie said...

OH, I'm so sorry...he looks like a dear one, and it's wonderful he had such a good life with you!
(((Hugs)))

Chris said...

Ohhh, I'm so sorry . . .

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, but so happy that the last year of Vinnie's life was obviously with someone he truly loved because he became the cat he always was, sweet and loving.

You and your kitties are in my thoughts.

linda-the-sister said...

:(

I love that picture of Vinnie in Mom's lap - he looks so content!

He was a sweet old kitty and I'm glad he had you for his last year or so. <3

Steven said...

What an awesome cat. It's a good thing he came into your life for a while. It's obvious you clicked.

mrspao said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Vinnie. It is so hard to lose a faithful friend who you love. Hugs xx

lori said...

Oh Janna, that's so sad. I'm sorry; it sounds like the last year was good for both you and Vinnie, having each other. It certainly sounds like he was lucky to have lived with you.

Janet said...

I feel sad for you and Vinnie.